Can your university meet the needs of today’s anywhere, anytime students?
Higher education has gone digital. Students now expect access to lectures, labs, services, and other resources 24×7, across campus and around the world. To position your institution as a digital leader, you’ve got to deliver secure networking and high-quality experiences at scale—or risk being seen as old-school.
Staying Relevant to Modern Higher Education
The COVID-19 pandemic caused a massive disruption to educational systems globally and was a wakeup call to modernize how students learn and access resources. For university IT, this meant making a fundamental shift from on-campus networking to supporting a distributed network across the globe.
Legacy school infrastructure is failing to make the grade
As more devices flood the campus, from students and faculty to visiting college sports fans, IPv4 exhaustion has become an urgent crisis
From remote learning to digital life, students demand better connected experiences
Surging Cyber Threats
As DDoS attacks and ransomware proliferate, universities are typically poorly defended—and frequently targeted
Extend University Expertise
The digital transformation of higher education is expanding opportunities for students on campus and around the world. By upgrading networks to support more connections and traffic, provide secure networking and compliance, and maintain availability wherever and however students connect, universities are a foundation for success for their institution and students alike.
- Large-scale remote access has redefined the requirements for university networking
- IP address pools must be augmented as connections and traffic increase
- Cost-effective IPv6 migration will be essential to ensure business continuity and support growth
Protecting Data, Applications, and Students
- Security investments must take higher priority as DDoS attacks and ransomware rise
- TLS/SSL encryption and TLS/SSL inspection are needed to ensure student privacy and regulatory compliance
- Automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and threat intelligence will help universities protect their expanding attack surface
Delivering More While Spending Less
- As technology costs rise, universities must optimize spending to keep tuition affordable
- Procurement is only the beginning—to control operating costs, IT should prioritize simplicity, integration, and manageability
- A well-managed technology roadmap will help universities meet their requirements within their budget over time
Enabling a Modern Digital Institution
- Today’s students demand broader, more flexible opportunities for on-campus, on-demand, and remote learning
- As on-campus enrollment declines, remote and overseas learning programs open new revenue opportunities for universities
- By offering a full range of online services, from medical facilities to research to entertainment, banking, and retail, universities can compete more effectively
“A10 went above and beyond to provide York University with scalable network infrastructure that not only handles the dramatic increase in demand, but also met our budget requirements. All-inclusive licensing and quick implementation made A10’s solution the optimal choice for us.”
Manager, UIT Network Development, York University
Meeting the needs of students, faculty, and staff—on-campus and on-demand
More than just a convenience, connectivity has become a mainstay of daily life for students and a baseline competitive requirement for universities. For university information technology teams, this means making a fundamental shift from on-campus networking to supporting a distributed network across the globe.
Critical Core Network Solutions for Higher Education:
The rising need for SSL decryption was overloading the security infrastructure, impacting the user experience and increasing the risk of attacks.
- Protect 53,000 students and 6,500 staff against cyberthreats and maintain federal compliance
- Decrypt all content for inspection without compromising application performance
- Proactively adapt controls and policies based on new visibility into anomalies and threats
- Maximize the investment in the existing security infrastructure
Related: Thunder® SSL Insight (SSLi®)
IN THEIR WORDS
“With Thunder SSLi we are better protected. We can stop the use of VPNs and proxies and we’re better protected against dirty traffic coming back into our school sites.”
Director of IT, Klein Independent School District
U.S. Eastern University Improves User Experience while Safeguarding Network against DDoS Attacks
Premier Academic Medical Center Required Enterprise Level Server Load Balancing (SLB) Solution